Thursday, June 12, 2008

Jacob Lake memories...

                               "There are stars in the southern sky
                                  southward as you go.
                           There is moonlight and moss in the trees
                               down the seven bridges road...."
                                     Waterslide day-off.  Cute suit, Chi!!!
I was remembering yesterday how much fun it was to run at Jacob Lake through the forest... ALONE! How crazy were we to do that!? Dodging bullets and arrows from the deer hunters, side stepping the rangers with their blow torches doing controlled burns on both sides of the path. Good times. I don't think I would dare to do that today, just the alone part of it. I have such great memories of that though. I remember that my first run while I was there was with you, Sarah, and I almost passed out and threw up from the altitude. I remember saying, "I really, really do run! I promise." And you were like, "Uh, yea. Let's just sit down on this rock for a bit. Are you going to throw up?"

                     Shhhh..... Sarah sleeping

      Shopping in Page!  How cute is Sarah's suit, and how cute is LISA?!

Hey, Sarah.... remember, "We could totally die doing this." "Yea, but what a rush, huh?!" Here's to Jacob Lake!!! Chi, thanks for taking me with you to AZ that summer. That was all your idea and the best time of my life. I hope our next girls trip can be there.

Our bunk, and my bunkmate!  Diggn' those pants.  Look at my huge stack of Yanni tapes!

   And of course, Tom.  Look how kissable those lips are!  Is it just me or does he look just a little bit like Lansing!!  As Chi says,  A girl does have her type.  Hey, is Keri checking out Sarah's boobs?

I did the same 17 mile run today that I did last week, but this time a little faster. I didn't have the BOB today (thanks, Ron!) so I was able to test out the water-bottle-with-nifty-hand-strap that supposably makes it easier to carry. It was better than putting it on a belt, for sure, but not perfect. The strap is a little too loose, so I still had to grip the bottle too much to hang on to it. I might have to try a different kind. I could fit my cel phone in the little pocket that's on it, along with one GU, then I had to fit two GUs in my running shorts pocket. I really needed one more GU on that run. I'm hoping my body is getting more efficient at burning stored glycogen and fat so that I don't need to eat so much of that stuff while I'm running. Maybe I needed more just because I was going a little faster today. My hamstring's still bugging me a little. Not so much that I had to stop or slow down a ton, but I'm not going to be able to work on speed at all except on these tempo runs unless I stop alltogether and just start over, which I'm not ready to do this year. Maybe for next year!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

uh, I think you may have ruined kissing Lansing for me forever ;-)

ahhh, good times. I don't remember you coming close to tossing your cookies, but I do have a copy of that photo of me sleeping with the caption you put on the back: "Sleeping Beauty and the book she stole".

And why can I never find a swimsuit that cute anymore? (oh right, because I no longer have a 19-year-old body to put in it.)

So fun to see those pictures. I think of that summer every time I hear that song. 16 years ago!!!!

Keri said...

I loved that summer! Thanks for posting such great memories. And Sarah, I totally forgot about your dragon. I liked my sleep far too much to ever go on one of those runs. Too bad you didn't force me into developing better habits. :-)

We need to plan a girls roadtrip back to Jacob Lake. No matter how many people have worked there since, I guarantee they haven't had as much fun!!!

Shanakin Skywalker said...

I just noticed that my paragraph about what I used to listen to on my runs through the forest got deleted. It was Yanni! Can you picture me running through the trees listening to Yanni?

Sarah said...

yeah, my baby has that dragon now. She loves it.

Seriously, Yanni? That might have been why you almost threw up ;-) j/k I loved Yanni back in the day.

We should DEFINITELY do a roadtrip there. I'm so bummed I won't have time this trip. I need to pay them back for that book, among other things ;-)