Monday, June 2, 2008

Here goes...

I'm having to combine my build and peak phases of training because I couldn't run at all while I was pregnant or the month after.  Since I was working out while pregnant doing other non-impact things, I thought I could start off running faster than I really could.  Needless to say I overdid it and had to completely start over.  HATE that.  So now I'm short on time and not much cross-training happening.  Just running 6 days a week  and trying to stay injury-free.  St. George has great trails to run on all around town, so we've been taking advantage of those, great for when my boys want to hop on their bikes and go with me.  That makes me feel a little less neglectful.  It could count as quality time right?  Even though I have my headphones on most of the time and I keep saying, "No, can't stop.... sorry... see ya....  No, can't help ya catch a lizzard....    sorry you're tired...   gotta go...   No,  I don't want to ride your bike home while you push the stroller."  I can't understand how an 8-year-old gets tired on a 12 mile path that's perfectly flat.  He actually got off his bike and pushed the stroller for about a half a mile and thought that was much easier.  (I actually did ride his bike for that half-mile.  Sadly, it fits me pretty well.)  Luckily we didn't see the pants-less man this time.  I don't think Noah will ever forget that.  Remind me to tell that story on a day when I have nothing else to write.

So, that was last Tuesday-ish.  I really wanted to make that my long run day since I had Sarah well-fed and sleeping in the B.O.B, but Noah Couldn't make it further.  So, after 12 miles we went home and I got on the treadmill for the last 4.  I really don't want to do any more miles on the treadmill.  I need to get my shins ready for pavement.  They're usually my problem, if I have a problem during a marathon.

The next marathon I'm running in the Deseret News/Pioneer Day in SLC, July 24th.  It's the first marathon I ever did in 1996 and on my mom's birthday, so it's kind of special to me.  I should be able to do this one in close to my goal time since the course has been changed to alot more downhill.  IF I can train for downhill.  The only place I can think of to run downhill is Snow Canyon State Park.  Shins, quads, knees....   and I've got a stroller.   But that's just what I did today and Ryan came along on his bike.  
We decided to start at the top and run down and back.  That would make 8 miles.  I hadn't done hills on the road yet, so I wasn't too sure how we'd do.  I had to put the break on the stroller a little where it's really steep at the top.  Going back up, I had to walk the last mile and a half.  Too steep to run up with the B.O.B.  That's my next milestone for training...  run up the whole thing with Sarah in her stroller.  I'll let you know when that happens.  Ryan had been walking his bike, but at that point he said he couldn't do it anymore, so I finished by myself and took the car to pick him up.  I think he still had fun.  I love that kid so much.  He is such a sweetheart.   When I got home my legs were jello and my bum has never been so sore.  That was good to do something different.  I'd like to do the path that runs along the highway up to the start of of Snow Canyon.  I have to find out how far that is.  Maybe it could me my long run tomorrow  ...TBA...

PS,  I got a massage today, and when she pushed on my forearms I about screamed.  I hadn't noticed they were tight from gripping the stroller.  I kinda have buff forearms!  Sweet!   Thanks Sarah.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to make my kids go on hikes with me every Sunday afternoon after church. They would whine and complain and say they were tired walking on a flat trail. I think kids just like to complain.

I think you're doing awesome to get out as much as you are with all those guys. It's going to teach the boyzz good things in the long run. But who is Sarah? Your baby's name is Willow. Say it with me: W-i-l-l-o-w.

Don't get too excited yet, but I think I might run the marathon with you. I'm running almost 20 miles now in the relay, so the training is not that different. Of course,my training is always erratic, so I don't know where I'll be, but I feel like I might be ready by July.

Shanakin Skywalker said...

I was really disappointed to see that the course now starts at the TOP of big mtn!! All that downhill!! I don't know how to get ready for that. That would be great if you did it too. I forgot my baby's name. It won't happen again.