Tuesday, June 3, 2008

7.5 miles at Rebel Stadium

I woke up this morning so sore from the hills yesterday that my options were to go to the gym and get on a bike, or take it nice and easy at a track.  (A side note on tendonitis in all it's forms...  My dad turned me on to DMSO a few years ago when I had developed bad achilles tendonitis.  It clears it up within a few days even while you're still running on it.  It looks like aloe vera and sold in health food stores.  Please, nobody tell me it causes cancer.  I totally depend on it.)  Ron offered to keep "Willow" at home, so I opted for the track.  I tried Pineview HS first, gates locked? (What's that about!?)  Then headed to Dixie State stadium, soon to be U of U Southern Utah Campus.  I actually really like running at a track.  I always have music and the time passes without me realizing it.  I just kind of zone out.  There were a couple of women from my sorority, the Mommy's With Joggers.  One of them also had a three-ish year old, not in a stroller that was working his tail off trying to get her to take him home.  I felt for her.  Whenever I'm running with the jogger people always say things to me like, "Way to go, Mommy, keep it up!"  or "Wow, I'm so impressed you're doing this with a baby!"  And I always feel a little patronized and insulted by it.  Like I'm handicapped and at the Special Olympics.  Why wouldn't I be running when I have a baby with me?!  But today I felt a little different about it watching those women.  I actually almost said something I usually get bugged by, like "Keep it up!"  I decided to just give her an encouraging smile instead.

A couple football players doing drills in the off season on the turf.  Very graceful at 250 lbs.  I love how they do everything half-way.  You know what I mean?  The squat is sort of more like a "bend-my-knees-a-little."  The stretching is my favorite.  The speedy grapevine thing is fun to watch.  I used to do that in dance although it looked a little different.  I don't mean to sound like I'm making fun.  Anyone who knows me knows I love football.  I appreciate that they're staying on top of their game during the summer!  I almost yelled, "Keep it up!"  (No, not really.)

There were also a couple 50-something men that looked very serious about this run and helping each other get back in shape.  They brought an entire cooler full of something.  They stretched for about 20 minutes, then  they started off running, which turned into a jog, which turned into a brisk walk...   Do people like that get insulted to hear, "Keep it up!" too?

So, about 7.25 miles in an hour.  Not horrible for a very sore day.

2 comments:

bryan said...

I'm going to have to try running with the stroller in a crowded park, see what kind of friendly patronizing I can draw.

Shanakin Skywalker said...

Wear your wedding ring! Man with stroller=chick magnet!