Thursday, July 31, 2008

New marathon, new goals...


This has been the year of "ME." My kids haven't been involved in any sports since last fall. We only took them one one vacation this summer. I haven't been a room mom or even a helper for all of this last year. I've been leaving my kids for over-nighters with Ron (and sometimes without) almost every month. I've pretty much become a really selfish, neglectful parent for long enough. So, while I'm planning out my training schedule for running, I'm also setting a few goals to get me back on track with the important stuff too. And you know what they say about a goal only being a dream until you write it down... So here they are:

1. I'm going to get my running done before the kids wake up so I can be available for them the rest of the day. This also means I need to try and get to bed on time even though I'm married to a night owl.
2. I'm going to keep my house cleaned up every day!! (sobbing....)
3. I'm going to read to Josh every day. (I've made this goal 5 times before. I don't know why it's so hard for me. Could be because it's 10:30 pm when he brings me a book.)
4. I will make dinner every night. (I think I will try and make dinner every night?)
5. I will go to the temple every month.
6. I will read something every day. Magazines don't count. (Some of you working people laugh at that, but you stay-home-moms understand, right?)
7. I will make my calling at church a priority. Not too hard, once-a-monther.
8. I will not buy things I don't need. (If you're wondering why it's not "I will stick with a budget," it's because I know by now that just isn't ever going to happen.)
9. I will limit myself to one serving of chocolate a day.

So, by the end of this year when I've run a marathon in record time, I will be a great in-shape combination of June Cleaver, Martha Stewart, Suzie Ormond and Dr. Phill.

If anyone can think of a good #10 for me, I would accept any suggestions!

5 comments:

Natalie said...

I love your goals. I think we all wish we could actually wear Linda Carter's Wonder Woman suit and the gold wristbands. Booyeah!! You ARE the perfect mom already. My only advice would be to eat more chocolate.

Jenna said...

Hello!!!!! Didn't you just get done telling me not to be so hard on yourself?! Take your own advice! You are a wonderful mom and person! But, I totally hear ya- it is hard to balance it all and it is hard not to feel guilty when you take time for yourself.
(ps...love the wonder women music...I am so going to i tunes right now and downloading that!)

Sarah said...

#10- I will give myself a break when I can't do it all, all of the time ;-) That's pretty much my only rule- I need to adopt a few of yours!

Kate said...

Amen, Sarah! I was going to say just that....Shannon, you are an amazing mother and wife. I marvel when I get to see you in action!! and please...eat more chocolate before you waste away. You are an amazing person... (tell that to yourself in the mirror 10X a day!) LOL

Scrappycook said...

Great goals! I have made many of the same goals again and again and I swear, this is the year I am going to stick with them!!! Giving yourself a break is always a good idea - we took no vacations this summer and the kids took 2 weeks of swimming lessons and that's it. The rest of the summer has been devoted to doing nothing.