Saturday, January 31, 2015

Making Time for Food Prep!


A few things I do to have healthy food ready in the fridge for meals...





I love the ground turkey meat from Costco.  (I'm starting to sound like a Costco employee.)  I cook up a bunch of it, sometimes with a can of crushed tomatoes in there, season with a little Italian Seasoning or Mexican.  My kids pull it out and roll it up in a tortilla or on chips with cheese.  They do not like ground turkey from any other store.  It's fattier and just tastes gristle-y.

This is one of my favorite things to do with the cooked ground turkey....


Slice a zucchini the long way,  hollow it out with a spoon or melon baller.  Chop up the zucchini meat and mix it with some of the turkey.  Add whatever other vegis you've got, salt and pepper the mixture and put it back in the zucchini rinds.  Top with a little Parmesan and bake until the boats are cooked to your taste.

A couple other things I like having on hand in the fridge are butternut squash and beets.  I'm really putting myself out there by admitting that!




I will use this throughout the week in different recipes.








These are yellow beets.  I've never tried them before.  My favorite part of the beets is the greens though.  I saute them with a little coconut oil and salt and pepper, then put a little balsamic vinegar on them.  So SO good.  If you've never cooked beets... this is how I do it.  Boil for about 40 minutes depending on how big they are, pour cool water over them to allow them to cool for a bit.  Then, when you pick them up the outside just peels off in your hands.  These are going in the fridge as well to be chopped up on a salad later this week.


No comments: