Monday, October 5, 2009

Doing some research...

I started looking up how one begins to train for 100 mile race. None of what I found out really surprised me, but I'm questioning whether I really want to be as selfish as it would require. Here's just a few things this one ultramarathoner does throughout the year before a 100 mile race:

1. Two workouts a day, both at least 10 miles. (Okay, maybe manageable)
2. Long runs are all at least 22 miles. (Doable)
3. Every 3-4 weeks run 25-50 miles instead of the usual 22 miles. (Mini Chi would freak!)
4. Weight training 2-3 times a week. (When?)
5. All weekly long runs should be on a trail with hills. (Anyone know a nanny?)
6. Track workouts of 800 meters at 80%-90% effort. (Ouch)

Obviously I would have to do those things to be ready to run on a trail for 100 miles, but looking at it broken down like that, it's clear that I would have to be away from my family for hours every day. A nice idea, but unless I don't ever want to sleep, probably not going to happen. I do have a goal though, to wake up and run before my kids need to get up for school so that it doesn't take up half my morning anymore. I can get it out of the way before I start the day. I set my alarm last night for 5:00 AM, and then turned it off at 11:00 PM before I fell asleep. I'm such a chicken. I really, really hate getting up early.

Tomorrow. I'll start tomorrow.

3 comments:

Scrappycook said...

From personal experience, your family will suffer. There is no way for training for a 100 mile race not to be an incredibly selfish venture for someone who is married with responsibilities to children and spouse. The training and the race are also complete personal time - there is no way to really include the family at all. Trust me. I've lived it and resented it. Every minute.

Shanakin Skywalker said...

Yeah, I already feel like they suffer even though I go for my runs after the big kids leave for school, Ron's gone to work, and I take Sarah with me. Every minute I'm gone is time that I'm not doing something else that needs to be done. I've decided my workout time really needs to be from 5:00 am to 7:00 am before anyone else is up. Ideally, Ron would do it with me.

Tiff said...

Shan... great time on the St. George marathon! I can't believe you are thinking of 100. You are amazing.